Updated February 25, 2020
Compose is a product created, marketed, and maintained by Casetext, Inc. (“Casetext”). This policy sets out our privacy practices and explains how we handle the information we collect when you visit and use any of Casetext’s websites, services, mobile applications, products, and content provided by Casetext, including but not limited to your use of the Compose websites, services, mobile applications, products, and content, in existence now or in the future (“Casetext Services”).
I. How We Use Personal Information
In the course of using the Service, we may collect personal information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Information”). Personal Information is or may be used: (i) to provide and improve our Service, (ii) to administer your use of the Service, (iii) to better understand your needs and interests, (iv) to personalize and improve your experience, (v) to provide or offer software updates and product announcements, and (iv) to verify that users meet the criteria to use Casetext Services as provided in the Terms of Service.
Some Devices allow applications to access real-time location-based information (for example, GPS). Also, some of the information we collect from a Device, for example IP address, can sometimes be used to approximate a Device’s location. We may use this information to optimize your experience.
We also collect some information (ourselves or using third party services) using logging and cookies, such as IP address, which can sometimes be correlated with Personal Information in the form of analytics. We use this information for the above purposes and to monitor and analyze use of the Service, for the Service’s technical administration, to increase our Service’s functionality and user-friendliness, and to verify users have the authorization needed for the Service to process their requests. As of the date this policy went into effect, we use Google Analytics and Segment.io.
II. Information Sharing and Disclosure
The information we collect is used to provide and improve Casetext Services and content, and to prevent abuse. We do not sell your Personal Information to third parties. We may share or disclose your information with your consent, for example if you use a third party application to access your account.
We may disclose to parties outside Casetext information about you that we collect when we have a good faith belief that disclosure is reasonably necessary to (a) comply with a law, regulation, or compulsory legal request; (b) protect the safety of any person from death or serious bodily injury; (c) prevent fraud or abuse of Casetext or its users; or (d) to protect Casetext’s property rights.
We will independently object to requests for access to information about users of our website that we believe to be improper.
We may disclose your non-private, aggregated, or otherwise non-personal information, such as usage statistics of our Service.
III. Changing or Deleting Your Information
If you are a registered user, you may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information provided in your registration or account profile. If your personally identifiable information changes, or if you no longer desire our service, you may update or delete it by making the change on your account settings. In some cases we may retain copies of your information if required by law. For questions about your Personal Information on our Service, please contact email@example.com.
IV. Data Retention
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you Services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, you may delete your account by sending a request to delete your account to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. Consistent with these requirements, we will try to delete your information quickly upon request. Please note, however, that there might be latency in deleting information from our servers and backed-up versions might exist after deletion. In addition, we do not delete from our servers files that you have in common with other users.
V. California Privacy NoticeA. Scope of Disclosures
This California Privacy Notice (the “CA Disclosures”) supplements the information contained herein and applies solely to individual residents of the State of California (“consumers” or “you”). These CA Disclosures describe how we collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process personal information of individual residents of the State of California, either online or offline, within the scope of the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA).
When we use the term “personal information” in these CA Disclosures, we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.
For the purposes of these Disclosures, personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified, aggregated or anonymized information that is maintained in a form that is not capable of being associated with or linked to you.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, such as:
- Health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- Information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
- Information relating to job applicants, employees, contractors and other personnel.
We collect various categories of Personal Information in connection with our Services. Please review the Information We Collect and Store section to learn more about the personal information we collect.
In the last 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information:
|Category of Personal Information Collected||Collected||Categories of Sources|
|Identifiers, such as your name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth or other similar identifiers.||Directly from youOur business partners and affiliatesThird parties you direct to share information with usSocial networksData sellers|
|California Customer Records (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e))||Directly from youOur business partners and affiliatesThird parties you direct to share information with usSocial networksData sellers|
|Protected Classification Characteristics|
|Commercial Information||Directly from you|
|Internet/Network Information||Your browser or device|
|Geolocation Data||Your browser or device|
|Profession/Employment Information||Directly from youThird parties you direct to share information with us|
|Non-Public Education Information (20 U.S.C. § 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)||Directly from youThird parties you direct to share information from us|
|Other Personal Information||Directly from youYour browser or device|
|Inferences||Your browser or deviceInformation generated or derived from your online browsing and usage activity|
We collect personal information from and about you for a variety of purposes. To learn more about the types of personal information we collect, the sources from which we collect or receive personal information, and the purposes for which we use this information, please refer to “How We Use Personal Information” section herein.E. Disclosure of Personal Information
We do not sell personal information and will not sell personal information unless we provide proper notice to consumers and, in the case of personal information collected prior to that notice, we obtain explicit consent for the sale of personal information relating to those individuals we previously interacted with.F. Recipients of Personal Information
As described herein, we share personal information with third parties for business purposes. We disclose your personal information to the following categories of third parties:
- Our service providers: We engage a number of third-party service providers that perform business or operational services for us or on our behalf, such as website hosting, infrastructure provisioning, IT services, email delivery services, marketing and advertising services, and other similar services, subject to contractual terms restricting the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for any other commercial purpose.
- Third parties at your request. We share your personal information with third parties with your consent or at your direction.
- Businesses as needed to provide Services. We may share personal information with third parties you engage with through our Service, or as needed to fulfil your request or transaction, including, for example, order fulfilment, payment processing, or delivery or shipping services.
- Security providers. We may share your personal information with third-party security providers, for example, to detect, prevent, or otherwise address actual or suspected fraud, harassment, security or technical issues, violations of any law, rule, regulation or the policies of Casetext.
- Business partners. We may disclose personal information to third parties with whom we partner to provide contests, joint promotional activities or co-branded services, and such disclosure is necessary to fulfil your request or application;
- Ad networks and advertising partners. We work with third party Ad Networks and Advertising Partners to deliver advertising and personalized content to you on our Service, on other sites and services you may use, and across other devices you may use. These parties may collect information directly from your browser or device when you visit the Services through cookies or other tracking technologies. This information is used to provide and inform targeted advertising, as well as to provide advertising-related services such as reporting, attribution, analytics and market research;
- Analytics providers. We work with third party analytics providers to better understand the demographics of our users and visitors, and to personalize, enhance and improve our Service;
- Social networks. We may disclose personal information, such as a unique identifier, hashed email address, or information automatically collected through tracking technologies, to social networks for the purpose of displaying personalized advertising and content on those social networks;
- Law enforcement and third parties pursuant to legal request. From time to time, we may disclose personal information as reasonably necessary to respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations;
- Third parties in the context of a corporate transaction. We may disclose personal information as reasonably necessary to evaluate, negotiate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Company about consumers is among the assets transferred or is otherwise relevant to the evaluation, negotiation or conduct of the transaction.
We utilize third-party partners to engage in online advertising. These ad networks, social media companies and other third-party businesses collect your personal information directly from your browser or device through cookies or similar tracking technology when you visit or interact with our website, use our apps or otherwise engage with us online. These third parties use your personal information to serve relevant ads on our site, on other websites or mobile apps, or on other devices you may use, or to personalize content and perform other advertising-related services such as reporting, attribution, analytics and market research. These third-party businesses may use such information for their own purposes in accordance with their own privacy statements, which may include reselling this information to additional third parties, including other advertising networks.H. Your California Privacy Rights
As a California resident, you may be able to exercise the following rights in relation to the Personal Information about you that we have collected (subject to certain limitations at law):
|The Right to Know||You have the right to request any or all of the following information relating to your personal information we have collected and disclosed in the last 12 months, upon verification of your identity:The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you;The categories of personal information we have collected about you;The categories of sources of the personal information;The categories of personal information that we have disclosed to third parties for a business purpose, and the categories of recipients to whom this information was disclosed;The categories of personal information we have sold and the categories of third parties to whom the information was sold; andThe business or commercial purposes for collecting or selling the personal information.|
|The Right to Request Deletion||You have the right to request the deletion of personal information we have collected from you, subject to certain exceptions.|
|The Right to Opt Out of Personal Information Sales||You have the right to direct us not to sell personal information we have collected about you to third parties now or in the future. If you are under the age of 16, you have the right to opt in, or to have a parent or guardian opt in on your behalf, to such sales.|
|The Right to Non-Discrimination||You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment for exercising these rights. However, please note that if the exercise of these rights limits our ability to process personal information (such as in the case of a deletion request), we may no longer be able to provide you our products and services or engage with you in the same manner.|
To exercise your Right to Know and/or your Right to Deletion, please submit a request by:
- Emailing email@example.com with the subject line “California Rights Request,”
- Filling out our California Resident Rights Request Form, or
- Calling (833) 227-3898
We will need to verify your identity before processing your request, which may require us to request additional personal information from you or require you to log into your account. We will only use personal information provided in connection with a Consumer Rights Request to review and comply with the request.
In certain circumstances, we may decline a request to exercise the rights described above, particularly where we are unable to verify your identity. If we are unable to comply with all or a portion of your request, we will explain the reasons for declining to comply with the request.J. Third Party Tracking and Online Advertising
We will update these CA Disclosures from time to time. When we make changes to these CA Disclosures, we will change the “Last Updated” date at the beginning of these Disclosures. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided in the notification
VI. Contacting Us